The God Who Equips Us - July 1
The God Who Equips Us Discussion Guide
What has been your favorite gift you have ever received? What was the worst gift you ever received? What were your feelings associated with each of those gifts? What made the one great and the other bad?
What is something you learned from this sermon? How did this sermon deepen your faith?
Read 1 Corinthians 12:12-26.
What are the purposes of spiritual gifts?
What feelings do you have toward spiritual gifts?
Have you ever experienced confusion regarding spiritual gifts? If so, what has your confusion been? If not, have you seen others experience confusion regarding spiritual gifts?
Is there a hierarchy to spiritual gifts, to functions in the church, and for believers exercising gifts in the church (see 1 Cor. 12:27-31)?
Read 1 Corinthians 13:1-13.
How is this passage typically used? What is the context of this passage? How does this passage inform your view of spiritual gifts?
Do you know your spiritual gifts?
If yes, what are they and how are you using them? If not, take the spiritual gifts test to see what your top gifts are (You can find the test at www.thecreek.org under the “Resources” tab and then by clicking on “Spiritual Gifts Assessment”). Then, discuss your results with your group!
Take some time to answer these questions that Gary posed in his sermon regarding people using their spiritual gifts. Then, discuss your answers to each question together.
- Do I enjoy the task while I am doing it?
- Do I look forward to the next time I get to do this task again?
- Do I enjoy preparing to do this task?
- Do I receive unsolicited affirmation that what I do/did helps?
This week, continue to pray as a group for an ever-increasing awareness of the Holy Spirit’s presence in and among you.
To say the Holy Spirit is mysterious might be an understatement. We hear about the power and the work of the Holy Spirit and sometimes it can leave us scratching our heads. But it doesn’t have to be that way. To go deeper in your relationship with God and others, here are some next steps for you:
- Attend Welcome to the Creek! This is a place where you can find out more information about who we are as a church. This experience occurs the 1st and 3rd weekend of every month in South Room 2 during the 11:00 service. If you attend Shelby Street, you can make an appointment for a Welcome To The Creek session.
- Check out our new sermon series on the Holy Spirit! You can find more resources and some information regarding the topics we will be covering at thecreek.org/godwho.